Man who blamed girlfriend’s killing on anti-Asian hate was behind murder-for-hire scheme, police say
A man who called police to report that his girlfriend had been shot and was dead was the prime suspect behind a double murder-for-hire plot that left an Asian man dead, and led to the arrest of a high school classmate, the Los Angeles Police Department said.
The plot, discovered by the LAPD following a tip from a confidential informant who had earlier made contact with a suspect, was one of the most sophisticated police efforts to date to solve a killing that has attracted a lot of national media attention.
The killer, now in custody after being found guilty of two counts of murder-for-hire, was the former girlfriend of the victim’s boyfriend, who was shot once in the head in the early morning hours of Oct. 8, 2012. The boyfriend, 25, was shot in the head once again the next morning, and died after a surgery on Oct. 12, police said.
The first murder-for-hire took place about 2 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 8, when a 21-year-old man approached the home of a 21-year-old woman in Boyle Heights and asked to use her cellphone to make a call. Inside her home, the man shot her in the head twice, police said. He then shot the young woman’s boyfriend, who was found lying on the ground and taken to the hospital.
Police said that while the man was taking her place in the car, her ex-boyfriend was making his way home. He was driving a silver car with a black top when he was shot in the head in the early morning.
The second murder-for-hire took place at 12:48 p.m. the next day when the ex-boyfriend reported the killing to police.
The man was found dead at the man’s apartment, police said. His body was later found in the street. The man�